Written by Scott Campbell.
Published at 14:26 GMT on Wednesday, 8th August 2012.
 
Cumbernauld's Wilderness Brae to get barrier by October


Picture is copyright of Cumbernauld Media/ Scott Campbell.
CUMBERNAULD’S Wilderness Brae will soon see the installation of a central reservation crash barrier following last Wednesday’s tragic accident, which claimed the lives of three men.

Since the accident, North Lanarkshire Council reduced the northbound stretch of Wilderness Brae to one lane, claiming a review had been started. However, the council were taken back when local resident Nicole McAllister, 21, decided to launch the Wilderness Brae Appeal, which gathered huge public support within hours.

Following public outrage at the delay and lack of response, North Lanarkshire Council has said a central barrier will be installed down the A8011 Wilderness Brae.

The accident, which took place at around 12.30 on Wednesday 1st August, claimed the lives Neil Harold, 34, from the Ralston area of Paisley, 30-year-old Greig Brown, from Cumbernauld and father-of-four Gordon McRae, from Airdrie.

In their latest announcement North Lanarkshire Council say that they have agreed to invest a six-figure sum to improve the safety of Wilderness Brae, by installing a barrier on its central reservation.

Councillor Stephanie Muir, vice-convener of planning and transportation for North Lanarkshire Council, said: “As with any major incident, we aim to look at all the circumstances.

“Ahead of the police report into last week’s tragedy, our response will be to further enhance the safety measures at this site and install a central reservation barrier as well as carrying out other engineering works.

“Following a serious accident in 2007 on Wilderness Brae, we introduced enhanced safety measures. These included reducing the speed limit by 20mph, a mobile speed camera site, automated speed warning signs and lines which produce a warning vibration when tyres make contact with them.

“The result was accident rates on the A8011 fell to almost zero up until last week’s dreadful events.”

Construction work on installing the new safety measures is expected to begin in late September.
 

Nicole McAllister, of the Wilderness Brae Appeal said: “We [Wilderness Brae Appeal] are absolutely ecstatic about North Lanarkshire Council’s announcement.

“We [Wilderness Brae Appeal] found out on Monday about the news and we look forward until the barrier is installed.”